Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Small Moments: A Scary Bike Ride and a Stroll to the Edge

I really thought for sure my small moments series was going to be put off, like I so often do with things relating to my blog.  It's so easy to get caught up in all of the hustle and bustle of the daily grind, all the while brushing off the little nag in your ear, whispering for you to slow down, to just let go and make some time to enjoy the environment around you.

Today, I (kind of) begrudgingly took to the city streets on my bike, to join my husband on his ride to class.  I say begrudgingly because up until today, I have only ridden on trails, free of cars, and not too much to think about in terms of my LIFE.  He thinks I should get used to it, and the only way to do that is to just do it.  So, I did...And, I survived.  We went only a little ways from our home to where he had his morning class at Rutgers University.  While he was in class, I moseyed around, through a part of the campus, and a little ways beyond, to the edge of downtown...Then, I got distracted by another project of mine, walked into Harvest Moon, a local Bar/Brewery to photograph a bartender, who also happens to be their brewer.....but we won't talk about that project because it's a secret....


it's electric!!
after I shot this, I started seeing different types of electric covers all over the place.

Draining.

Not my bike.

I love that fire hydrants around the city are old--no matter what new buildings are erected, these guys pretty much remain the same.

Observe...the observatory.

I even had a social moment! I know, me, talking to strangers.  This guy is a local.  
We chatted and I photographed him...because I could.
Dude has some nice cheekbones, doesn't he?
 A little note on photographing people....After I took this photo of the gentleman above, people started to become interesting to me.  Several times along my walk I wanted to photograph a person, without them knowing I was doing it...But I was terrified of getting my ass beat, especially by the homeless guy smoking his cigarette.  Any advice in regards to getting comfortable aiming a lens at someone who can easily tell you are photographing them would be awesome.  I know it's legal and all (thank you, public domain), but still...awkward much?

oh autumn, you are here.

yea, that's right, NYC we have one too....except ours is some alley-type street sandwiched between the train station and an apartment high-rise.

ohhh, this crane...I have photographed this thing several times recently from different locations.  I love it, what can I say.

this was pretty much the last photo I had time to take before I headed back to the bikes.


After my walk, I met back up with my husband to journey back home.  We took a different route back, which was on Easton Ave, a street with considerably more traffic, and less room to ride than the street we took going out.  Several cars beeped; overall it wasn't too bad though.  Once we got home I reflected on the ride, and came to this conclusion: I don't know if I could get used to using a bike for transportation in a city.  I like to think of bike riding as a relaxing activity, not one that's like this: GO, GO, GO, don't blow out your knee, but GO, GO, GO!!!  Cars and lights and pedestrians, OH MY!!

I may continue to make an effort to get used to the bike, but for now, I prefer my own to feet, against the solid ground.

No comments: