Sunday, January 29, 2012

birthday dinner

My daughter's (Le Foo) 5th birthday is coming up on Monday.  Due to the fact that we are having a celebration for her on the 4th of February, I decided that we should go out to eat.  Le Foo, at first suggested Applebee's, which was fine.  Then, out of the blue, she changed her mind, but did not come up with a new suggestion.  I finally suggested that I could just cook for the family.  I thought she would jump on the idea, considering the ideal setting that leaves her in--the comfort of home and family, the comfort of mama's cooking, and the fun of playing with newly acquired birthday items (aka: gifts) while waiting for the food to be ready.  But no, my nearly-5-year-old child responded "no, I will just play with my toys the next day".  I then asked her where she wanted to eat.  She said "I'll show you when we get home..It's wooden."  I thought this was very strange, and the gears in my mind started turning...AHA!
"You want sushi?" I asked.  
"Yes," she replied.  
So, Ichi-umi it would be.  It's this awesome sushi buffet about 15 minutes up rt.1.  They specialize in sushi, but also have the option of cooked food.
Once we arrived at home, she disappeared into her room.  A few moments later, she returned with a select piece from her Melissa and Doug wooden sushi set.  I looked at the small circular shapes surrounded in what looked like seaweed, and laughed.


"You want fish eggs for your birthday?" 
"Yes.  All I want for my birthday is fish eggs, edamame, and sushi."
What five year old do you know comes up with this birthday dinner request?  She has even decided that she will try something new--actual sushi; sushi other than california rolls.

2 comments:

Bruce said...

The apple does not fall far from the tree. this is obviously a special girl with discerning taste. Special girl-special mama.

Sara said...

Haha- I have to agree with your dads comment.