Friday, June 8, 2012

When We Were Married (Again)

We were married in a courthouse on December 29,  2009.  Because we wanted to.  On June 12, 2010 we gathered at the local gardens with family and friends to get married...again...Sort of...I call it the fake wedding, although in many ways it felt more real than the official one that included the legal documents and all.

We planned, planned, planned for this June event--invites (made by me), venue, caterer, cake, decor, color scheme, "wedding dress", jewelry, bridesmaids, groomsmen..and anything else I may have missed.
And, on that day, I may have been more nervous than the day I actually got married.  Mostly, because there would be vows to read, which we had written ourselves.  And, the number of people present far exceeded my comfort levels as a person who gets anxiety from being in the presence of other humans.  Long mental journey short, I made it up the aisle; I think I was biting my lower lip pretty much the whole way (such a wonderful nervous tic).  We read our vows; he said his flawlessly, and made me cry. (This was my first time hearing them) Then, I proceeded to stumble and cry over the words that I had memorized, but I survived, and it was well worth it.  Anyway, that's not the point, so I'll be moving on now....to the pretty parts. (Although that was pretty too, just not internally).

Here we are, up front, being all OH SO SERIOUS.  My wedding dress was a tie-dye skirt, my husband wore jeans, a t-shirt and a tan blazer.  My jewelry was all handmade on ETSY, as well as the headpieces (which are now hanging from the ceiling of my bedroom).  We're casual people. Could you tell?  Our daughter is there, in that beautiful little tutu and her basket full of petals (that she was too nervous to throw anywhere...or maybe she just thought they were too pretty to throw).




AJ read his vows first:
Molly,  I vow to bring you soup when you are sick
And to take walks with you in good spirits.


I vow to encourage you in your endeavors, 
To help you up when you falter, 
And to toast you in your triumphs.
I vow to continuously earn your love, 
And to cherish that love.

I vow to never become complacent in our relationship
And to woo you endlessly, 
Always striving for your affection.
I vow to resist stubbornness 
And to be an understanding father and husband
I vow to love, honor, and respect you 
For the rest of our lives together.

Then came mine:
Anthony, you are my friend, my lover, and my soul mate
and I know that what we share is a rare thing to behold.

Today, I promise to nurture your creative mind and spirit, 
And to always encourage and inspire you.

I promise to continue to grow with you,
And to stand by your side in times of plenty
and in times of want.

I promise to laugh with you in times of joy
And to comfort you in times of sorrow.
I promise to love you in good times and in bad, 
When love is simple and when it is hard.
I promise to cherish you 
And to always hold you in the highest regard.


I must say, I am very proud of us for writing those.  They actually have meaning, promises that can really be kept, standards that can actually be met.



BUBBLES!

The color scheme was purple, orange, and green.  The decor...well...what decor.  I figured the color was enough, so we just added some nice potted Gerber Daisies as centerpieces. (Thank you, Mom, for planting them all...hate to say it, but I killed mine).


Sorry Hans Vogi (not her real name....my cousin...my sister). I know, you look ridiculous, but I had to, for color purposes only...Here, I'll put in a normal one, so the world can see that you can be normal. :)
My two cousins; beautiful people :)

The groomsmen in their shades of tan--we didn't force them all into the exact same blazer; we just told them color and material and left it up to them.  I think they did a pretty good job.

Ahh, yes, the cake.  This was AMAZING.  Certainly, the most unique wedding cake I have ever seen in person.  White is just so boring...Bold is just so beautiful :)

Here, we are, the happy couple, having our first official dance...literally...we don't dance, and didn't dance for those 5 months that we had already been married....Well, except for those you tube instructional videos on how to dance...Seriously.  We even practiced in front of Hans Vogi once or twice.  Go ahead and laugh, but we actually moved around the dance floor, didn't step on any toes, or trip.  So many times, at weddings, the bride and groom rock each other like babies in the center of the floor.  I wasn't going to be one of those couples, and I certainly wasn't paying for dance classes that would come in handy for a total of 2 minutes.

We're casual, hiding at our table, starved half to death from not eating all day, excited for our food (which was phenomenal...although I can't remember what it all was...Salmon, potatoes, green beans...maybe salad....)

Oh, you didn't know? This is the father-in-law, son-in-law dance.  I laugh to think that my father was, to put it VERY NICELY, not fond of AJ at the beginning....Because they have nearly identical personalities.  I can't believe my father wore a Hawaiian shirt ( that matched the color scheme no less).  My father is the last person I would expect to see in one of those...He's the plain Jane of men.

Cascade bouquet, cascading out of the photo.  Calla Lilies and Orchids are some of my favorites.  The flowers were done by Viburnum.

This was at the end of a long and blurry day.  I must say, the caterers did a wonderful job, especially the one following us around making sure we always had a drink in hand. :)  

We journeyed to our home with some family and friends for some post-wedding festivities.  One of the main events of that night was AJ's reading of his second set of vows.

Here they are:    :)

Molly, You know I love you and I want to reaffirm my vows to you.

I promise 

To never leave the toilet seat up,
Even when I've been drinking.

To fill the Brita when it's empty,
And not just half way.

To always take out the trash,
Because the garbage room gives you the creeps.

I promise to make the coffee right,
And never forget to rinse my plate.

To take Le Foo to school in the morning,
Before 11 o'clock.

To clean the cat box,
More than twice a month.

To try new things in bed,
Even if that means my butt....
I vow it will never come to that.

Till death or laser surgery do we part.

Did I mention AJ actually took the time to write TWO sets of vows? This was the second set. I'm assuming that's a splash on my shirt from the beer Cadet spilled all over the Parquet floors....oh, and one additional, little, teeny-tiny detail I forgot to mention.  If you'll just take note of AJ's ring finger; theres a ring on it.  He's been branded in a tattoo sort of way. Oh, and so was I, but you can't see it here, so I'll show you up close :)

This is what he meant by till death or laser surgery :)

OOOOOO yea.  We got to keep the uneaten wedding food!!!! MuHAHAHAAAAA (and no one got sick).


This collection I made on Etsy was inspired by our wedding colors, the gardens we were in, and the jewelry I wore.


'When We Were Married...' by mollysm130


Hammered Copper Pinch B...
$22.00

Crochet Ring Fiber Ring...
$7.00

Tree artwork, Abstract ...
$35.00

Autumn "HYDRANGEA ...
$3.00

Gerber Daisies, Frog an...
$25.00

Original Painting Datur...
$125.00

Spring Carnival Flower ...
$30.00

All the holidays....Max...
$42.00

Batik Wristlet in Purpl...
$24.99

BFL Wool Top (Roving) -...
$17.95

Copper Spiral Earrings
$10.00

Button cufflinks, Purpl...
$10.00

Purple Boutonniere Cors...
$41.00

Mandala oriental rosett...
$20.00

Butterfly insect nature...
$15.00

Bobby Pins Flowers - Li...
$15.00

3 comments:

Sara said...

I love this. Especially the picture of Kenny and I eating the food at the end of the night. lol Such a beautiful wedding, I hope i can plan a simple yet beautiful wedding like yours on a really low budget. hahaha. Thanks for putting up a normal pic of me, I actually love that pic of patrick and I and I dont think I have it!!

Elizabeth England said...

really fun wedding...great story!

Elizabeth England said...
This comment has been removed by the author.