Sunday, February 12, 2012

Misplaced Hunger Button

I have a really bad habit of not eating throughout the day.  It's not that I have some eating disorder or something; eating just has never seemed to make it to the top of my priority list.  Some mornings I will eat breakfast, but mostly I don't feel hungry, and am generally turned off to the thought of food so soon after waking up.  As the day goes on, you would think my body would send me a memo, reminding me to eat--a stomach growl, a pang in my stomach, something, anything at all.  But it doesn't.  I am always bustling around cleaning, cooking, or making something, and it seems that I focus so much on getting whatever it is I am doing done, that I simply tune everything else out, including any hunger I may have otherwise been feeling.  I simply don't feel hungry, and if I don't feel hungry, I don't think about food.  This makes perfect sense to me.  Not to other people though; I am constantly being scolded by my family to "EAT! Why don't you EAT!? It's bad for you! Why do you do that to yourself!?"  Well, it's not like I'm consciously "doing" anything to myself.  If I'm hungry I eat; if I'm not, I don't.  Sometimes, when I feel a bit shaky, I think about stopping for a bite, but then I get all nervous about "abandoning" my project or chore to heat anything up.  I'll only be okay stopping for this food if there is something that can be eaten cold; no preparation can be involved.  It's like the minute or so it takes to reheat leftovers is going to completely throw me off course, and my goals for the day will not be met.  This stress I induce immediately shuts off any want for food.  The problem with this habit of mine is that once I STOP whatever it is and turn my attention to dinner, all of the hunger I hadn't felt all day roars its angry head.  Mostly, my stomach is just angry, but the other night was an exception and sort of an eye opener.  I was at home with Le Foo, preparing dinner, and I was suddenly overcome with dizziness.  Fortunately this came at a time when I was waiting for the food to cook itself. I actually had to sit on the kitchen floor.  Le Foo was concerned, and I told her that mommy made a bad choice and had not eaten all day.  I got up, drank a glass of juice and had a piece of cheese in an attempt to calm the storm that was brewing in my body.  That didn't work.  I went and laid in the bed, and closed my eyes in an attempt to shake off this feeling.  Le Foo was now into a full blown  lecture.  "Mommy, that's not good. You have to start eating breakfast. I'm going to make you."  I agreed with her, letting her know that I would comply.  Then she went on to say that she didn't want to go to school the following day.  I asked her why.  She said, "I want to eat lunch here."  Now I am thinking to myself, 'this poor kid thinks she needs to stay home to make sure I eat'.  I'm still not sure if this is why she started in on all of this, but she continued on, telling me why she wanted to eat lunch here, rather than at school:  "they ever have grilled cheese or peanut butter and jelly for lunch at school and I love them."  I promised her that I would make sure she had both of these items before the week's end.  I also promised her that I would definitely eat breakfast and I would try to force myself to eat something during the day--I've been doing pretty good at keeping that promise, and I am probably a healthier person for it.  Thank you Le Foo.

No comments: