Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Grain Tasting: Quinoa

No pictures, (it wasn't very pretty anyway) but on Quinoa:
I used a recipe from AllRecipes.  It had carrots, celery, onions, garlic, vegetable broth, Turmeric, and basil...oh, and Quinoa.  When I opened the bag of super-grain , I recalled the adjective from my bible-ish cookbook and the Quinoa package: grassy.  Well, no kidding, it really smelled like grass.  It actually had me a bit concerned.  I rinsed the Quinoa, as per the instructions and added it to the concoction.  The aromas from the dish were already wonderful--I think I have a soft spot for the smells that emanate from carrots, celery, and onions...It's this savory-sweet, subtly rich smell.  I'm happy to report that there were no grassy aromas filling my home as a result of adding the Quinoa to the simmering pot of goodness.  About 30 minutes later, while putting it into a dish to store for dinner, I snuck a little taste (which, normally I don't do...yes..strange, I know...maybe I'll blog about it).  I was pleasantly surprised.  I tasted the vegetables, the spices, and no grassy flavors whatsoever.  It was really a relief, because all I kept thinking while rinsing the grain was, "Why the craze about this grain if it tastes anything like it smells?  Are people turning into livestock, craving lush, green pastures?  I'm no cow and I refuse to like anything that tastes like grass, fad or no fad!"

To be honest, I can't, at this moment identify the flavor that the Quinoa had--I will have to find out tomorrow by eating it a second time...The beauty of left overs: second chances at tasting things correctly.  I'm just glad I'm saying that I will continue eating Quinoa and, no, people are not turning into grass-fed livestock.

No comments: