Thursday, March 15, 2012

Grain Testing Take One

Since going flexitarian, we have been consuming more rice lately.  Not really knowing about rice, I've been sticking with white rice.  Well, that got boring real fast once I made a few rice and bean dishes, so I decided to try out some different varieties of rice.  This was the first night with new rice, and what a relief it was.  I made Basmati Carrot Rice to accompany Maple Glazed Salmon and my family's favorite style of Green Beans (sautéed with garlic, soy, and a touch of sugar).

The rice dish was a tad on the dry side, but the aromatics and flavors of the rice made up for all that.  It had this great nutty, asian flavor, and the ginger gave it a nice tang.  I went light on the cayenne for the sake of my daughter, so there was really no spicy-spice at all. My husband and I do enjoy spice, and really miss it when it's not there.  The rice dish was a great compliment to both the beans and the salmon due to the fact that they both incorporated an asian flavor--soy sauce.  Simple description of tonight's dinner: nutty, sweet, and salty. The textural variety also stood out--I think I was so impressed because the grain was anything other than white rice.


No comments: