Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Project for the OCD in us all

I have this odd fascination with hexagons.  I have several paintings that incorporate hexagons.  I get very excited when I find images with hexagons, especially when they repeated to make "hives" or varied in size.

I found this awesome project about two weeks ago.  It is the first pattern I have ever purchased and it cost me a whopping $5.99.  I must say that the pattern was worth every cent.  I just like looking at how the designer laid the whole thing out and the photographs are lovely.  There is even a tutorial on intarsia knitting.

The project fits in perfectly with my love of hexagons and my OCD tendencies.  I found it on Ravelry.  It's called the Beekeeper's Quilt.  This quilt is simply amazing--I love that you knit up these tiny little 3" diameter hexagons, and, once you have your desired amount, seam them all together into one giant (or not so giant) blanket.  I only say giant, because I set my standards high--I plan on making the banker rather large.  The "hexapuffs" (this is what the designer refers to them as, because they are puffy from the stuffing) don't take long to knit up at all, so can be done whenever you have 20 minutes with nothing to do.  This fits in great with my life--I like to do a lot of different things, but never finish them in one go around.  I also really love the idea of using lots of different colors and/or types of yarn (all similar weights of course) to make this patchwork quilt.  I can't wait to find a not-so-little basket to start my "hexapuff" collection in.  I just have to hope one of my three cats does not decide to take a liking to puffy hexagons, or they will have to be squirreled away to safety in a closet somewhere.  I would love to say I will be ready to seam it all together in a year, but since I plan on making a bedspread out of these, I really can't say...I don't want to say...Because I will be mad at myself when I'm not done in a year, guilt and all.  Ahh, to be one's harshest critic...It's really not the life.

No comments: