Wednesday, May 23, 2012

To PIN or NOT to PIN

Pinterest: known as this awesome place to "pin" photos of various things that are beautiful, inspirational, moving, unique....and the list goes on.  I've found so many beautiful things, great ideas (clearly labelled "DIY"), and some yummy recipes on the site.  Since I opened my etsy shop, I have been pinning on and off--both my items and other's.  I look occasionally to see where people are repining my pins to.  It kills me when I see MY DESIGNS repined to "card ideas".  "Inspiration" would be a nicer way of repining and subtly saying, yes, I may be doing this, but in my own way.

I know, I know, free world right?  Well, I own my company, I design everything myself, my ideas are not for the taking friends!  So, my dilemma is, to PIN or not to PIN.  I'm not really fond of the idea of making my ideas easier to take and reuse, but on the other hand, I am fond of people liking my work, thieves included.

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way--would love to hear some thoughts :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Molly I just followed you on twitter (petal and stone)...I understand your concern and it is frustrating, but you know all artists really are thieves... I have been getting allot of hits from the site for my jewelry and the statics on sales for Pinterest vs many of the other social media outlets are huge, I say keep pinning

Unknown said...

haha--it's so true, I have a pin board called art as inspiration--in the description I talk about how all art is derived from other art in some way. Thanks for the input and motivation!
Just keep pinning, Just keep pinning, pinning, pinning. :)

Sara said...

Its hard to say. But I completely understand where you're coming from. I am not an artist at all (as you know)lol. I have found a lot of great ideas for DIY and would much rather do it myself rather than spend money on someone else doing it. However, if it was something i couldn't do then i would most likely purchase it from someone. Such as your amazing cards!!!